Prior to meeting, Kate and Dan were both doing their own thing musically. After Kate made contact with Dan, wondering whether he might be interested in collaborating – he was. And so, Meadowlark was born! A matter of weeks after deciding they were a band, they were asked to support Bastille! Their track ‘Eyes Wide’ was added to BBC Radio 1’s Introducing playlist and they’ve performed at Glastonbury’s Introducing stage amongst others.
We’re so excited to be collaborating with Meadowlark for #MusicBringsUsTogether and looking forward to hearing more from these guys in the future.
- Do you play any instruments? If so, when and why did you start playing?
Yes! Guitar… and if I scour the back of my mind I imagine there’s some Recorder knowledge in there too!
- Were your musical tastes influenced by anyone?
My parents were key in getting me into music.
- Who are your favourite musicians?
The ones who can balance skill and melody in perfect harmony!
- If you had to listen to just one song for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- What’s the best music festival you’ve performed at?
Glastonbury was a huge career highlight!
- What’s the best music festival you’ve attended?
It’s actually a toss-up between Glastonbury and Secret Garden Party (RIP)!
- What’s been your most embarrassing on stage mishap?
When the sound engineer forgot to turn the front-of-house speakers on so Kate and myself played at least half a song without anyone hearing it… still scarred from that experience.
- Do you have any superstitious rituals before you perform live?
We used to sing a chorus from James Blunt’s ‘Bonfire Heart’ before going on stage.
- What advice would you give to beginners in the industry?
Do what feels right, trust your gut and keep putting music out there!
- What songs do you listen to when you need motivation?
Cinematic and orchestral music tends to quiet my mind and allow me to think more clearly.
- When do you know that you are 100% happy to stop working on a song and release it?
It’s different with every song, but it’s usually when we both unanimously feel it.
- What one song do you wish you wrote?
Africa by Toto.
- Which country would you love to tour in?
We’ve always talked about touring in North America, the long drives across the states weirdly appeals to us.
- If you could go back in time to meet anyone from the past, who would it be and why?
Kurt Cobain. He was a huge influence for me and the only way I know him is through everyone else’s portrayal of him.
- Where do you go to find inspiration?
I usually try and get away from the world, long walks/hikes, when there’s peace around you, you can quite easily tap into your mind.
- What is your song of shame? (or in other words, the song you secretly love but hate people knowing)
To find out more about Meadowlark, click here to check out our exclusive interview with them.